If you are going to Ethiopia for a photographing trip, take more film, digital camera cards and spare batteries than think you will need.Ethiopiais very photogenic and it will be easy to use at least one roll of 36 exposures per day or fill half your digital camera card.
It is advisable you bring a U/V filter and dust cover to protect you camera. Out ofAddis Ababait is hard to find spare camera batteries and digital camera cards so we recommend you bring these with you or to buy before you leaveAddis Ababa.
- Taking pictures of very important bridges is prohibited; ask the help of your guide or driver or locals on the spot before doing so
- Except the Omo valley people and some dominantly Muslim regions most people inEthiopialike their picture to be taken. Acceptance for picture is expressed either with smile or with proper positioning oneself for picture. While rejection is expressed through giving oneself back or covering face with hand or cloth.
- In the Omo valley there is picture fee which amounts 3 birr per picture of individuals even if you take group of people at one shot. This rule applies also when you make a shot of their house. A shot to the whole market and whole village is permissible for free but it must be after you take some pictures that require fee. Please don’t take any picture until your guide or driver gets permission, which the answer is always OK.
- In the Afar and some dominantly Muslim region you need to wait until your guide or driver or any local helper negotiates with the locals. This doesn’t include the most photogenic regions like Harar and Bati Market where there is no picture fee.
- Except for the above mentioned places, please don’t pay picture fee!
- No photography fee in all natural attractions and heritages sites but there are few places with prohibition. e.g. The ethnographic museum inAddis Ababa.
- There is Videography fee almost in all churches and in some historical and natural sites.
- To photograph old paintings it is must to put of the camera flash first.
- It is good if you can bring instant photo developer; to give locals their picture. This will help you have interaction with locals.
- The above information do not apply if you are inEthiopiafor professional production of photographing and filming.